Connect with us

Military

$215 Million Allocated to General Dynamics Electric Boat for US and UK Submarine Initiatives

Published

on

/ 6406 Views

General Dynamics Electric Boat Corp. Awarded $215 Million Contract for Navy Attack Submarine

General Dynamics Electric Boat Corp., located in Groton, Connecticut, has been awarded a significant contract worth $215,655,632 to provide support for the U.S. Navy’s ongoing technical design and planning activities for the Virginia-class attack submarines. This contract, identified as N00024-19-C-2125, pertains to engineering and planning yard support for operational, technical, design, and planning services for the next several years. The United States Navy will fund 42% of this contract, while General Dynamics Electric Boat will cover the remaining 58%, under the Foreign Military Sales program. The U.S. Naval Sea Systems CoMMAnd in Washington, D.C. oversees this contracting activity.

The work will predominantly take place in Groton, Connecticut (70%), with additional efforts allocated to Kings Bay, Georgia (13%), Bangor, Washington (10%), Pearl Harbor, Hawaii (3%), North Kingstown, Rhode Island (2%), and Newport, Rhode Island (2%). The project is expected to be completed by September 2023, with Foreign Military Sales to the United Kingdom accounting for 52% of the funding, and fiscal 2020 other procurement (Navy; 42%) contributing $5,041,000 toward the total amount, with no expiration at the end of the current fiscal year.

 

General Dynamics Electric Boat (GDEB) serves as a subsidiary of General Dynamics Corporation and plays a vital role in the support of the United States Navy for over a century. The company’s main facilities are strategically located in Groton, Connecticut, a hub of submarine engineering and outfitting, as well as a facility in Quonset Point, Rhode Island, serving as a shipyard and engineering facility. Additionally, there is a facility in New London, Connecticut, dedicated to engineering and engineering support services. The company was founded in 1899 by Isaac Rice as the Electric Boat Company to build John Philip Holland’s revolutionary submarine designs, which were later developed at Lewis Nixon’s Crescent Shipyard in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

 

General Dynamics Electric Boat Corp. continues to contribute to the strength and capabilities of the U.S. Navy, most recently delivering the USS Oregon (SSN-793) attack submarine to the United States Navy’s fleet.

For further information, please contact the General Dynamics Electric Boat Corp. Public Affairs Office.

Trending